Thursday, February 3, 2011

Austin "The Stud" Belcher


Here is "The Stud"..."The Chick Magnet"..."Cutest Smile Award"...Mr. Austin Belcher!  Austin is a Georgia Fan but I won't hold it against him this year since Auburn is clearly the best!


This story is not about me but like any good story, I have to give some background information before I tell the rest of this life-changing story.  I grew up in the First Baptist Youth group and that is where I met and became friends with Austin.  The first time I met him, he made me laugh so hard that I could hardly breathe.  The dude was hilarious.  Everyone loved Austin....he was one of those people who just carried a good vibe and made everyone feel special.  I am using past tense words right now such...was and loved because what I am telling in the beginning of this post is talking about Austin before his wreck.

Kaleb Moore and I were interns for the First Baptist youth the summer before we headed to college and Austin quickly became our favorite teenager in the group but don't tell anyone that because we probably were not suppose to have favorites but the truth is the truth so I must post it!  We went to Boston that summer on Mission Tour (the youth choir of First Baptist pick a different state every year and sing at all kinds of different places).  We flew to Boston and then drove a charter bus back home.  I don't remember everywhere we sang, I don't remember a lot of the people we met, and I don't remember getting much sleep but I do remember hanging out with Austin and Kaleb the whole time and I do remember that I probably laughed more in that week chillin' with Austin and Kaleb than I did the whole year.  I laugh a lot people but this was gut-wrenching, stomach cramping, gasping for breathe, tears streaming out of my eyes laughter.  We had the best time.  Austin and I also had to do a skit together on tour and I am not sure how we got through the skit without laughing...ok, so sometimes we didn't get through the skit without laughing but all in all the people in the audience got the point out of our skit...well we hope they did...ha!

Austin not only had to sing on tour and do a skit but he also played the bass.  The dude can play the bass!  He was awesome at it and had a glow about him while playing music.  He also played bass every Wednesday night at youth group.  He was devoted to help bring people to the foot of the cross by way of worship and let me tell you...he did an incredible job!


I say all this to say...I got to know Austin well that summer and hands down...he can make me laugh and love life better than anyone else but after summer...I went to college and Austin was still in high school so we didn't do well keeping in touch but everytime I would see him around I would just smile and laugh awhile because he brings so much joy to everyone he was around.  Now that you have the background information...let's move on...

On June 23, 2004...Austin got up out of bed, got ready for work, got in his truck, started the car and headed to work just like any other day but on this particular day...Austin's life would change forever.  On his way to work, Austin had a wreck.  I remember getting a phone call that morning from Kaleb and I remember his exact words..."Brooke, I am on my way to pick you up, Austin had a wreck, a really bad wreck, and we are going to meet up with people to pray for him."



Isn't it weird how you remember exactly where you were and what you were doing when you receive a phone call like this...you know...like, I am sure everyone knows exactly where you were when you heard about the Twin Towers on September 11th.  Well, this was the first time I heard Austin's name and his name not bring a smile to my face...I had that feeling like Chuck Norris had just did a round off side kick right into my stomach.

Kaleb picked me up and we went to pray with what seemed like everyone in Troup County.  Like I said, everyone loves Austin and everyone prayed like I had never seen a group of people pray before.  I kept thinking about Austin, I kept thinking about how his parents must have been feeling, I kept thinking about how his family was getting through this, I kept thinking about how his best friends must be handling this news.  I never got all of the information about the wreck...I just knew it was bad.  We prayed for his sweet parents, family, and best friends, we prayed that God would work a miracle in Austin's life, and we prayed that God's strength would fall upon his family because nothing else could get anyone through a time such as this.

Well...God was on the top of His game working miracles in Austin's life that day and God has continued to work miracles day in and day out through Austin's life ever since.  I am not a parent yet but I already love my adopted child that I don't even know more than anyone and anything else in this world and I could not even begin to imagine my child in pain or having to struggle.  I can't imagine what Austin has gone through during the past 7 years of his life, I can not imagine the pain he has had to endure to get to where he is today, I can not imagine the heartache and pain his parents have gone through watching their son go through so much pain, therapy sessions, surgeries, and helping him get use to the new normal.

Here is Austin and his incredible parents.


Honestly, I am ashamed to say it but I haven't even spent time with Austin since his wreck but that is definitely going to change.  I told him the other day that it is time for us to make more fun memories like we had in Boston and I am most confident he can still make me laugh until I cry.

I do know this about Austin...he is a fighter...he definitely lives up to the verse 2 Timothy 4:7 on a daily basis that says..."I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith."  His faith is still incredibly strong, everyone still loves him just as they did before, he lets nothing get in his way of continuing to live life to the fullest.  I mean seriously...look at this stud...he always has fun!





I told you he is a stud!
Austin and Mac Powell from Third Day!



When I think of Austin...I also think of the verses that we all should live by and Austin goes above and beyond to live by these verses everyday that are also in 2 Timothy...

2 Timothy...."1 You then, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus. 2 And the things you have heard me say in the presence of many witnesses entrust to reliable people who will also be qualified to teach others. 3 Join with me in suffering, like a good soldier of Christ Jesus. 4 No one serving as a soldier gets entangled in civilian affairs, but rather tries to please his commanding officer. 5 Similarly, anyone who competes as an athlete does not receive the victor’s crown except by competing according to the rules. 6 The hardworking farmer should be the first to receive a share of the crops. 7 Reflect on what I am saying, for the Lord will give you insight into all this.
 8 Remember Jesus Christ, raised from the dead, descended from David. This is my gospel, 9 for which I am suffering even to the point of being chained like a criminal. But God’s word is not chained. 10 Therefore I endure everything for the sake of the elect, that they too may obtain the salvation that is in Christ Jesus, with eternal glory.

We can all learn a lot from Austin...we must be like a good soldier fighting to live life to the fullest and continuing to stand up and protect what we believe in (Austin is still in church every Sunday and Wednesday), we must strive to please God daily, we must be like an athlete in training who works hard to reach the life goals we make for ourselves, and we must be like a hardworking farmer who digs deep into the soil of God's word so that in due time...the fruit of God will grow in your and the life of the people around you so that then everyone can taste and see that the Lord is good just as it says in... 

Psalm 34:8 say...

 8 Taste and see that the LORD is good;
   blessed is the one who takes refuge in him.


The way that Austin lives his life...before and after his wreck...should push us all to live life to the fullest no matter what life throws our way.  Through Austin and because he has been and continues to be so diligent in everything he does...we should all be able to see that the Lord is good and that the Lord protects and provides and gives strength to all of His children.

I asked Austin, "What is the biggest life lesson you have learned?" and Austin's response was, "Dont take anything for granted, you never know when it might be taken away. I would give ANYTHING to play my bass now!

One more thing I would like to point out before I end this blog entry...Austin used his talents of playing the bass to glorify God and he would do anything to be able to use his talent again for the glory of God.  Join with me in praying that God will work another miracle and that Austin will be able to play bass again real soon.  My prayer for all reading is today is that we all become more and more life Austin Belcher.

ARE YOU USING YOUR TALENTS FOR THE KINGDOM OF GOD OR FOR THE WORLD THAT IS FALLING APART?

To Austin...I want you to know that you are still a worship leader at heart and even though you may not be up on stage playing the bass during worship, you lead a life of worship and you are still a worship leader to us.  Your life screams out to all of us the real meaning of worship and you still bring us to the foot of the cross so that Jesus can take our hands and lift us up so that we can have sweet communion with the Father.  Thank you Austin! 

No comments:

Post a Comment